Empires of the Undergrowth is a real time strategy game developed and published by Slug Disco Studios, a British developer team. Early Access version was released on December 1st 2017. Leafcutter Ant Update was released on April 25th 2019.
Empires of the Undergrowth is an ant colony management game, in a fast-paced real-time strategy style. The player excavates their nest underground, constructing tunnels and chambers to store food and raise brood. On the surface, the ants claim territory, gather resources, overwhelm fearsome arachnids and clash with other colonies. Nest design, army size, composition and attack timing are key to securing victory.
Missions are narrated from the perspective of a documentary film maker studying the ants, who offers intelligent insight into the goings-on of the colony and the undergrowth beyond. The primary game mode in early access is the story mode, where you take ownership of a home colony of unique DNA-harvesting ants as they work to assimilate the desirable traits of their foes. You can upgrade them by playing one-off missions, sometimes with your home colony and sometimes with other ant species.
- Construct your underground nest to suit your strategy.
- Engage in fast-paced colony versus colony combat, with little micro-management.
- Overcoming powerful enemies in the undergrowth.
- Epic campaign story told from the perspective of a documentary team and inspired by real world challenges.
- Customize your formicarium colonies and bring them to freeplay.
- Unlock secret rewards by beating side missions.
- Voice acting to help guide the player through the game.
Concept arts of 2016 kick starter stretch goals
Official Youtube Channel: https://www.https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtHilwcTxOVg5RxEWCDfcwA
Official Twitter: https://www.twitter.com/slugdisco
Official Forum: https://forum.slugdisco.com